Saturday, September 08, 2007

Opening Day of Soccer


Today was Cayden's first soccer game in the under 6 division. Last year he played well but had moments of watching planes go by. He was not the most aggressive kid either. I have to be careful because the coach in me comes out a lot and I want him to really compete. I am always telling him, "Whatever you do, do your best!" Well, Friday night it seemed to click! I told him we needed to kick the ball around before his first game. He was less than excited but I made him do it anyway. By the end of our "workout" I was saying , "Okay, one more time and then we will go in." He was saying, "No, Mom, three more." I am seriously hoping I have converted him! By coaching and teaching I have come to realize that fewer and fewer kids have that desire to really compete. I think it is either something you have or you don't. By the time I get them in Jr High it is too late to instill that value in them but I am hoping that you can force it on someone when they are five!!!

The game today was a blast. We got put on a really neat team with some good kids and good parents. Cayden and all the kids got to play a lot of soccer and run around a ton! (That was the reason I signed him up in the first place.) I can honestly say he went hard the whole game and did his absolute best. That is all a parent can ask for. He scored three goals but my favorite part of the game was when he broke out of the pack and was headed down field to score. The coach yells at him from the sideline to pass it to a girl on his team that was about three feet in front of him- and he did! He could have taken it all the way to the goal but he passed it! I was so proud. (She did score by the way- ASSIST!)

Scott played with his new jumbo lens and got some great pics of him in action.

If you are ever bored on a Saturday morning stop by the soccer fields. He would love to have a cheering section!

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Yeah for Cayden! He is already WAY ahead of what his buddy, Will, did on the soccer field! :)

Jumbo lens, huh? It's about time! Congrats!

David and Whitney Scott said...

Scott,
Nice camera work. Guess you're happy with your purchase? I can even see Cayden's hair (in full run). Sharp stuff.