Friday, April 25, 2008

My How Times Change

A while back I had to get to school early to attend a training session. It was a training on "lock downs" and what to do in the event of a school shooter. I was telling Cayden that we had to leave early the next day so I wouldn't be late. He asked me what for and I told him that it was to watch a movie about what to do if a bad person came to school. My then five year old said to me, "Oh, you mean like a soft lock out?" I asked him if he meant lock down and he said, "Oh, yeah, lock down." He then told me about how they had a soft lock down at his school one day when there had been a guy the night before at a nearby Walgreens with a gun that had not been found yet. (We knew this but did not realize that he knew this.)
Today he was watching Air Bud. In the movie the little boy's dad isn't around. They show a picture of the boy with his dad several times but he is not in the movie. I asked Cayden where his dad was and he replied, "I guess Iraq."

When I was a kid we went to school and then played outside until dark with all the other neighborhood kids. I don't remember worrying about war or lock downs or school shooters.

2 comments:

Kay said...

How true is that? I often ponder on the world that we are bringing our kiddos up in...more of a need to pray than ever!
K

Brandon said...

Yep, things were different in the seventies.