Saturday, August 09, 2008

Summer Goals




At the start of the summer I had two unspoken and unwritten goals with the twins. Number one was that they both be able to swim without any floaties by the end of the summer. When Cayden was a baby we swam all the time and since he was the only kid he never wore any type of float. He was a strange kid and was swimming by himself, with me walking right beside him, by the time he was one and a half. By the next summer, at two and a half, he was swimmng really well. With two tiny ones the twins hardly ever got to get in the water without a float or floaties. I would try to give each one a little swim time without them but it was very limited. At the beginning of the summer Cooper decided to try without floaties and has been doing great ever since. Cutter, however, did not want to go without his floaties. He would swim with his face in the water and body on top of the water but always with his floaties. Today we had a break through. I took them off and he was reluctant at first but then he started jumping to me off the stairs. He kept asking to put his floaties back on when all of a sudden he forgot to jump to me and just pushed off and started swimming. The rest is history. A few minutes later he was going off the diving board and swimming to the ladder by himself.
Goal number two was to have them both out of diapers. Cutter has thrown a wrench in that idea. But really, can you blame him. How convenient it must be to just go where you are and not have to take the time to find a bathroom.

Another totally unrelated but funny story:
Today when I was changing Cooper she had her hand not on her hip but on her hiney. She asked me, "Mom, why is our hiney like this?" I asked, "Like what?" Then she said, "Soft." I didn't have the heart to tell her that's as good as it gets and it's all down hill from there!

3 comments:

Paula said...

Wow! That's great! It's funny how they look like they are doing syncronized swimming or something. I wonder if that is easier for twins??? Hmmm, thought to ponder...

JB said...

scott & erica, it's so great to see your kids. i am glad that we have caught up with each other after so many years. i tried to comment earlier but i could not remember my username. i am a bad blogger. so, i love what kids will say and ask, mine do it in english and spanish. thanks for sharing. email me soon, info@missionlazarus.org .
jarrod - in Honduras

Kelly Sessions said...

aww the kids are so cute! I remember when i first learned to swim...but I HATED those arm floaties....I just wanted to say hello, had some down time at work and was checking the blog. Erica, are you still teaching at Salado? Anyway, hope you all have a wonderful week!