Saturday, June 18, 2005

Thanks Dad!


Photo of Dad & Mom taken this past Christmas.

This Father's Day I want to share a post of my appreciation to my dad. I am grateful to have a dad that has continually shown me both glimpses and long looks of what God the Father must be like.

This year as I have sorted through the memory box in my head two different pictures (memories) have leaped out at me. The first is a memory from spring break of my 7th grade year. Though we did not know it at the time I had developed full blown rheumatic fever. My symptoms included arthritis of the legs and knees. Simply I could not walk for two weeks. I was unable to even stand up. So from doctors visit to doctors visit my dad carried me. My dad was lugging around his 7th grade son, no complaints.

The second image that rushes out of my memories this year is one from my sophomore year in high school. I was in the marching band and played all of the Friday night football games. Early on my dad and I developed a habit of going out for a coke or ice cream after the game. As a independent minded 10th grader trying to establish my self in the world I did not comprehend the value of these Friday night treat runs. SO one Friday night as my friends, who now had drivers license, asked me to come hang out with them. I remember racing home to change out of my band uniform and seeing my dad sitting in the lawn glider in the front yard. He was waiting for me and our time together. I quickly told him I had made other plans and dashed on in the house.

Funny thing, I can not even remember what my friends and I did that night or even who I was with. But I do have a clear picture of my dad waving from the lawn glider as I drove away. He never told me he was sad or disappointed but looking back there had to be some grief that night.

So, on this Father's Day I am grateful to the dad who carried me when I was helpless and to the dad who is forever waiting on the front porch for his son to come home. I wonder where my dad got his ideas for fatherhood?

Love Ya Dad,
Scott

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your Dad is a great man and has been a blessing in my life too. He and your Mom hosted all of us rowdy kids in their home many many times! No wonder they had to move when we all went off to college!