Saturday, August 27, 2005

Hotel Rwanda


It is not often that I recommend a movie as a "must see". I am compelled to place Hotel Rwanda into that category. If you have not yet seen this movie make plans to rent the DVD and see it as soon as you can.

Hote Rwanda is the story of how a hotel manager (Paul) was able to save more than 1000 people during the Rwanda genocide. Through his savy and leadership he protected his family, his staff, and hundreds of refugees in a time of madness. It is a modern day Schindler's List.

What struck me the most was realizing this all took place in 1993. I was ignorant of the history when I started the movie and was quickly shocked when I learned this was RECENT history. How could such a massacre occur in modern day? There is a line in the movie about Americans watching the footage on the evening news. They will say "Isn't that awful," then return to eating their dinner.

Note: This is not a movie for children.

1 comment:

stuckinthe80s said...

A second note: This is also not a movie for wimps (like me) with a weak stomach...but an EXCELLENT eye-opening, life-changing film.